When children grow they starts learning each and everything by experience. But certain things cannot be allowed to be experienced by them. Children never know that touching fire or hot substances can cause them skin burns. It is ideally parent’s duty to make them aware of these things. You should educate the child on what will be the consequence if fire is touched. No matter how careful you are, there may still arise situations in which children can get burns. Always prevention is better, if you have children at home you need to definitely take some precaution steps.
- Never keep hot vessels or vessels with hot food or water in reachable height to the children.
- Don’t hold kids in one hand and cook; try possibly not to have kids in kitchen while cooking or after cooking.
- Don’t use table cloths, since kids might pull them when hot food items are placed on the table.
- Don’t leave hot kids food near them, since they are used to their bowl and they might try to eat themselves.
- When using electric appliances like water heater or iron box unplug it immediately after using it and keep it out of reach, since kids have the habit to try what adults do.
- If you have any worn out electrical wires immediately replace them.
- Check the water temperature in water tub before letting your kids in the tub.
- Dress the kids to their normal size, avoid over sized dresses.
It’s not always possible to monitor the kids 24 hrs, there might be some instance when they might get burns accidentally. Unfortunately if it happens you should not panic and act immediately to do first aid .You should know what to do and what not to do to reduce the severity of the burns instead of increasing it.
- Pour cool water gently over the burnt area or soak the body part in cool water, remember cool water not ice water or ice.
- Undress the kid and remove any accessories like chains or rings if the kid is wearing.
- Warp the burnt area with cold, clean and wet soft towel.
- Give some pain killers to help within stand the pain.
- Don’t put butter, spray or any other ointment which is not prescribed.
- After doing first aid consult a physician for deep burns.
- if the burns are very deep then physician might prescribe for surgery to make the skin normal.
- If the burns are caused by electrical appliances then it is strongly recommended to visit a physician.
Lastly it is always better to have hospital ambulance and emergency phone numbers handy to be used in case of urgency, instead of searching and wasting time which adds more stress.